Why does Allah say "WE"? is he one or more ?
Authors: Habib ibnay Sanower
It's royal we. It indicates singular number basically. It is very common and use in Hebrew, Arabic, Persian, Urdu and Hindi languages. Those who haven't sufficient knowledge about these languages,only they can make a question about it. The royal word "we" also means us,our. Here is used it as singular below -
● Example~Genesis 1:26(ESV)
Then God said, “Let us make. man ino ur image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over .every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
● Gensis2:9 (ASV) and out of ground made jehovah God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight,and good for food, the tree of life also in the midst of the garden and tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
● Gensis2:15(BSV) And the LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to do work in it and take care of it.
● Gensis2:16 (BSV) And the Lord God gave the man orders, Saying You may freely take of the fruit of every tree of the garden.
● Gensis2:17 (WEV) but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you shall not eat of it, for in the day that you eat of it you will surely die.
● Same representing royal we in the Quran, (2:35)
LORD said"We said "O Adam! dwell thou and thy wife in the Garden and eat ye freely (of the fruits) there of where ye will, but come not nigh this tree lest ye become wrong-doers. [translated by dr. pickthall]
● Isaiah ch44:6~Jehovah said Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts, I am the first, and I am the last, and beside me, there is no God.
7. And who, as I, shall call, and
shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them.
8. Fear ye not, neither
be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? you are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any like me.
● Hoesa 11:9 For i am God, not man
● Mark 12:29 O children of israel! Our LORD our God is one.
Same concept in Quran: There is no God without Allah (2:255) there is nobody like Him (112:4) Allah is one, unique (112:4)
Therefore we understand according to above discussion, truly royal we is singular number and refers one person.